Yagami-kun's Family Affairs (八神くんの家庭の事情 Yagami-kun no Katei no Jijō?) is a manga series by Kei Kusunoki which was originally serialized in Japan in Young Sunday from March 1986 to May 1990. The manga was later adapted into a three episode OVA series in 1990, and an eleven episode television drama.
Yagami-kun's Family Affairs follows Yūji Yagami, a high school student with a problem: his mother, Nomi, looks very young and Yūji has a crush on her. To complicate matters, his high school homeroom teacher is also infatuated with her due to how young she looks. Nomi is oblivious to all of this and is head over heels in love with her husband, Yōji, and frequently displays this affection very publicly, which causes more embarrassment for Yūji.
Yūji's high school friends constantly tease him about his "mother complex". When Valentine's Day comes around, though, Yūji receives a box of handmade chocolates. The name on card can be read multiple ways, the most common way being Masayuki Ikari (五十里 真幸 Ikari Masayuki?), a male name, so his friends tease him throughout the day until it's time to meet the person who sent the chocolates at the front gate after school.
The girl who sent the chocolates (the name is actually read "Mayuki") starts meeting him after school so they can walk home together, and they eventually become an item. The remainder of the story follows Yūji and Mayuki as their love grows and as Yūji works to resolve his "mother complex" issues.
All of the characters have names containing numbers.
- Yūji Yagami (八神 裕司 Yagami Yūji?)
- The protagonist of the story. Yūji has a "mother complex" because his mother appears to be very young and he finds her attractive. This is used throughout the series for comedic effect. He feels guilty about how he feels about his mother. Voiced by: Kazuki Yao
- Nomi Yagami (八神 野美 Yagami Nomi?)
- Yūji's mother. She is a bit naive and has a tendency to dote on her only son. Voiced by: Chieko Honda
- Mayuki Ikari (五十里 真幸 Ikari Mayuki?)
- Yūji's girlfriend. Due to the characters used to write her given name (which can be read "Masayuki", a male name), the love note she sent to announce her feelings was interpreted as being from a boy, much to Yūji's chagrin and his friends' amusement. She is shy and indecisive, so it took her a long time to work up the courage to let Yūji know about her feelings. However, she has a temper and frequently gets upset at Yūji for his indecisiveness. She drives a bullet bike. Voiced by: Maria Kawamura
- Akira Yokkaichi (四日市 明 Yokkaichi Akira?)
- Yūji's homeroom teacher. He fell in love with Nomi at first site, and is constantly flirting with her. Nomi is the only one who doesn't seem to notice his flirting, though. Voiced by: Akira Kamiya
- Yōji Yagami (八神 陽司 Yagami Yōji?)
- Yūji's father, a salaryman. He has a very close, romantic relationship with Nomi, which often embarrasses Yūji. Voiced by: Norio Wakamoto
- Mitsuko Nanase (七瀬 密子 Nanase Mitsuko?)
- A 23 year old office lady. She secretly wishes to have an affair with her boss, Yōji, and is very jealous. She is constantly flirting with him. Voiced by: Hiromi Tsuru
- Shigeki Yaoi (八百井 刺激 Yaoi Shigeki?)
- Nomi's student. He acts as the comic foil to Nomi's unwitting naive mistakes. Voiced by: Nozomu Sasaki
- Kazuki Ichigaya (一ヶ谷一樹 Ichigaya Kazuki?)
- One of Yūji's friend's from his homeroom at high school. Voiced by: Mitsuo Iwata
- VHS: KVVA-1001, KVVA-1002, KVVA-1003 (30 minutes each), Kitty Film, 1990
- Laserdisc: KVLA-1001, KVLA-1002, KVLA-1003 (30 minutes each), Kitty Film, 1990
- DVD: POBE-1020 (90 minutes), Universal Japan, 2003