Natsu no Arashi! (夏のあらし!?, lit. Summer Storm!) is a Japanese manga written and illustrated by Jin Kobayashi, who is known for his previous work School Rumble. The manga started serialization in Square Enix's Gangan Wing shōnen manga magazine on August 25, 2006, and seven bound volumes have been released in Japan as of March 2010. The anime adaption began broadcasting on April 5, 2009. A second season has been made called Natsu no Arashi! Akinai-chū  The complete first season of the anime is available to watch at crunchyroll.com, Animeseason 
Thirteen-year-old Yasaka is a boy staying at his grandfather's house during his summer vacation. One day he entered a store and met Arashi, a beautiful sixteen-year old girl working there. After trying to protect her from a man who claims to have been hired by her family to take her back by force, Yasaka ran away with her and now she stays at his grandpa's place with him. It didn't take much time for Yasaka to figure out that his new friend is far from an ordinary girl, as she possesses mysterious powers. The plot thickens when he finds a sixty-year-old picture of Arashi and another girl named Kaja, and to the surprise of all Kaja suddenly appears, and just like Arashi, her appearance hasn't changed at all since then.
Two other characters introduced so far are the place's owner, a woman whose name is still unrevealed and rumored to be a high level con artist, and Jun Kamigamo, a student of Yasaka's age who he met at the store, and works there with him since then. Despite being a girl, she keeps dressing and addressing herself as a boy to the other characters. So far only Kaja and Arashi know her secret.
- Hajime Yasaka (八坂 一 Yasaka Hajime?)
- Voiced by: Yūko Sanpei
- The main male protagonist. A 13 year-old boy who is spending his summer vacation in his grandfather's house. When he met Arashi from the first time, he established a connection with her when he touched her hand, and since then the duo gained the power to travel back and forth in time. He is infatuated with Arashi's beauty and kindness, but is afraid to convey his feelings to her.And is a friend of Jun.
- Sayoko Arashiyama (嵐山 小夜子 Arashiyama Sayoko?, Arashi for short)
- Voiced by: Ryōko Shiraishi
- The main female protagonist. Despite still looking like a beautiful sixteen years-old girl, Arashi is in fact a ghost who lived during World War II times. Since then her mission had been traveling back in time to rescue those in her community from air-raids by American warplanes. However, to travel back to the past, she must do it accompanied by a living person from the present with whom she made a "connection". Her relationship with Hajime is a bit more complicated than it seems.
- In the second season it's revealed that Arashi's first love was a time-tripping Hajime.
- Kaja Bergmann (カヤ バーグマン Kaya Bāguman?)
- Voiced by: Kaori Nazuka
- Another ghost from Arashi's time and her best friend. She was an exchange student from Germany who studied at her school. Her polite and cool demeanor opposes to Arashi's lively and carefree personality. She possesses the same time traveling powers as her, but she can only make a connection with a living girl due to her shyness around boys.
- Her favroite dessert is ice cream.
- Jun Kamigamo (上賀茂 潤 Kamigamo Jun?)
- Voiced by: Chiaki Omigawa
- She is Hajime's friend that has made a connection with Kaja and jumps through time with her. Hajime misunderstands that she is a guy. In the 2 season Jun starts to have feeling for Hajime.
- In the first season Her secret was revaled in episode 5.
- She used to have long hair which showed in the anime and she has great acting skills.
- Sayaka (さやか Sayaka?)
- Voiced by: Hitomi Nabatame
- A con artist who owns the cafe in which Hajime, Arashi and the other girls work. She seems to have a crush on Yamashiro.
- Hideo Murata (村田 英雄 Murata Hideo?)
- Voiced by: Hiroki Yasumoto
- A private investigator. He is the son of a man Arashi saved from certain death by preventing him from fishing in the river, on a day when an air-raid struck the area.
- Yayoi Fushimi (伏見 やよゐ Fushimi Yayoi?)
- Voiced by: Ai Nonaka
- Just like her friend Kanako, she is another ghost who died during the war and an acquaintance of Arashi and Kaja, her ethereal body has been weakening through time. Due to a horrifying accident, she's half-paralyzed and can't walk without wheelchair. Her paralysis is more to psychological condition. However, she was healed when she went back to the past and met Kanako again for the first time. Her personality is the polar opposite of Kanako, especially her naiveness that worries Kanako greatly.
- In the second season she connects with both Hajime and Yamashiro's dog Josephine and Sayaka.
- Kanako Yamazaki (山崎 加奈子 Yamazaki Kanako?)
- Voiced by: Yui Horie
- Just like Yayoi, her ethereal body weakened and she resorted to steal Arashi's energy to replace her and her friend's, until she figured out that only by making a connection with a living human, her energy would be restored. She and Yayoi are best friends and spent their ghost-living in a run-down mansion. She is very protective and deeply cared of Yayoi's well-being, up to the point where she does not hesitant to hurt somebody for her sake. She is "connected" with Hideo. She looked tough, rude, and unlikeable at first. This is because she had gone through a lot of hardships since childhood and loathes rich girls such as Kaja, Arashi, and Yayoi. Her encounter with Yayoi changed her perspective and she became able to open up herself.
- Takeshi Yamashiro (山代 武士 Yamashiro Takeshi?)
- Voiced by: Tomokazu Sugita
- A young man who Arashi saved when he was a child and Hajime's main target of jealousy, as he is always in good terms with her.
- Shioya (塩谷 Shioya?)
- Voiced by: Tomokazu Sugita
- A regular at the 'Natsu no Arashi' cafe who always asks for salt, but never gets it till the end of the second season.
- Yōko Himekawa (姫川 ようこ Himekawa Youko?)
- Voiced by: Saki Nakajima
- Jun's modeling friend. She pretends to be Jun's girlfriend to get a laugh, and then pretends that Jun is cheating on her as to amuse herself even further.
- Kyōko Kamigamo (上賀茂 京子 Kamigamo Kyouko?)
- Voiced by: Michiko Neya
- Jun's older sister (she also a model too).
- Yoshimi Anamori (穴守 好実 Anamori Yoshimi?)
- Voiced by: Yū Kobayashi
- She's a mangaka who, on her first visit to Seven, tries to kiss Yayoi and Arashi. It's revealed that she's actually looking for models and has to 'experience' the scene in order to draw it correctly.
An anime adaption was announced in November 2008. The anime series was directed by Akiyuki Shinbo, Katsuhiko Takayama oversaw the script, the character design was done by Kazuhiro Ota and was produced by Shaft. The series was broadcast from April 5, 2009, it had a total of 13 episodes.
- "Atashi dake ni kakete" (あたしだけにかけて?) by Omokage Lucky Hole
- "Kirari Futari" (キラリフタリ?) by Ryōko Shiraishi
- "Hitonatsu no Keiken" (ひと夏の経験?) by Ryōko Shiraishi (ep 6)
- "Kassai" (喝采?) by Yui Horie (ep 11)
|Episode #||Title||Original airdate|
|01|| Playback Part 2|
"pureibakku Part2" (プレイバックPart2)
|02|| Girl A|
"Shōjo A" (少女A)
|03|| Wanting to Protect|
"mamotte agetai" (守ってあげたい)
|04|| Full of Memories|
"omoide ga ippai" (想い出がいっぱい)
|05|| Secret Flower Garden|
"himitsu no hanazono" (秘密の花園)
|06|| Falling In Love|
"koi ni ochite" (恋におちて)
|07|| An Outsider's Relation|
"tanin no kankei" (他人の関係)
|08|| Suit Yourself|
"katte ni shiyagare" (勝手にしやがれ)
|09|| Hero - Now's the Time for You to Become a Hero!|
"Hero - Hīrō ni naru toki, sore wa ima" (HERO(ヒーローになる時、それは今))
|11|| The World Exist For the Sake of Two|
"Sekai wa futari no tame ni" (世界は二人のために)
|12|| Entrust Yourself to the Flow of Time|
"toki no nagare ni mi o makase" (時の流れに身をまかせ)
|13|| Playback Part 1|
"pureibakku Part1" (プレイバックPart1)
A second series called Natsu no Arashi! Akinai chū (夏のあらし! 春夏冬中?, lit. Summer Storm! Open for Business) was announced on June 29, 2009. It has 13 episodes.
|Episode #||Title||Original airdate|
|01|| Summer Vacation|
|02|| Gal and Do|
|03|| The Time Traveling Girl|
"Toki o Kakeru Shōjo" (時をかける少女)
|04|| Light Blue Rain|
"mizuiro no ame" (みずいろの雨)
|05|| Can't Stop the Romance|
"Romantic ga tomaranai" (Romanticが止まらない)
|06|| Jagged Heart Lullaby|
"gizagiza hāto no komoriuta" (ギザギザハートの子守唄)
|08|| Computer Granny|
"konpyūtā obaachan" (コンピューターおばあちゃん)
|09|| Lonely Tropical Fish|
"samishii nettaigyo" (淋しい熱帯魚)
|10|| Showa Blues|
"shouwa burūsu" (昭和ブルース)
|11|| High School Lullaby|
"haisukūru rarabai" (ハイスクールララバイ)
|13|| You guys are Kiwi, Papaya, and Mango|
"kimi-tachi kiui. papaia. mangō da ne." (君たちキウイ・パパイア・マンゴーだね。)
King Records's Starchild division has offered to pay Amazon gift certificates to bloggers at the unofficial Neko to Negima! to Seiyū-san anime blog site for their reviews of Natsu no Arashi!'s anime series.
- ↑ Script error
- ↑ "www.animenewsnetwork.com".
- ↑ "www.crunchyroll.com".
- ↑ "Jin Kobayashi's Natsu no Arashi to be Animated in 2009". Anime News Network. Retrieved 2008-11-23.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Script error
- ↑ Script error
- ↑ "Blogger Reportedly to Be Paid for Posting about Natsu no Arashi". News. Anime News Network. 2009-03-29. Retrieved 2009-06-01.
- Manga official website (Japanese)
- Anime official website (Japanese)
- Natsu no Arashi! (manga) at Anime News Network's Encyclopedia
- TV Tokyo website (Japanese)ca:Natsu no Arashi!ko:여름의 폭풍!