JC Comics (also known as JC Productions), was a short-lived comic book company owned by John Carbonaro (1952 – February 25, 2009). JC published a few titles in the early 1980s, most notably comics featuring the T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents.
Carbonaro was also associated at the time with Archie Comics and their attempted relaunch of their superhero imprint Red Circle Comics. This resulted in JC Comics reprinting some of the Archie materials just before the Red Circle Comics came out, cross advertisements between JC and Red Circle, and the wrap-up of the JC Comics' T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents in Red Circle's Blue Ribbon Comics title. Despite this, Archie never owned the T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents characters; nor was JC Comics an Archie imprint.
In 1984, David Singer's Deluxe Comics began publishing a new series, Wally Wood's T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents, featuring some of the best artists of the era, including George Pérez, Dave Cockrum, Keith Giffen, Murphy Anderson and Jerry Ordway. Singer, a former associate of Carbonaro, claimed the group was in the public domain. A lawsuit by Carbonaro claiming otherwise was heard in New York State's Civil Court, and via summary judgment, the judge ruled from the bench that the characters were indeed in the public domain.
Years later (long after Deluxe Comics had folded), JC tried again to launch new T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents material. In 1995, Carbonaro tried getting their stories in Penthouse Comix' Omni Comix, but that line ended after the first story came out. Another attempt was planned with DC Comics, but the T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents Archive and some statutes are all that came of it.
- Published by JC Comics
- JCP Features #1 (1981) — magazine-sized, new T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents material; reprint of Archie's Black Hood
- Hall of Fame (3 issues, 1983) — reprints from Tower's T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents
- T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents (2 issues, 1983–1984)
- Blue Ribbon Comics #12 (1983)
- Published by Penthouse Comics
- Omni Comix #3 (1995)
- Published by DC Comics
- T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents Archive, vol. 1 (2002) ISBN 978-1563899034
- T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents Archive, vol. 2
- T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents Archive, vol. 3
- T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents Archive, vol. 4
- T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents Archive, vol. 5
- T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents Archive, vol. 6
- ↑ "Blood and T.H.U.N.D.E.R." The Comics Journal #97 (April 1985), p. 7-11.
- JC Comics at the Comic Book DB
- "Deluxe suspends T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents," The Comics Journal #100 (July 1985), p. 20-22.