Daisuke “Dice” Tsutsumi (堤 大介 Tsutsumi Daisuke?) (born November 6, 1974) is an animation artist and illustrator living in San Francisco, California. Currently the art director at Pixar Animation Studios.
Born and raised in Tokyo, Japan, Dice moved to New York in 1993 where he enrolled at the School of Visual Arts. After being graduated in 1998, he began a two year stint as a staff illustrator at Lucas Learning Ltd (see Lucasfilm). In 2000, Dice was employed as a visual development/color key artist for Blue Sky Studios where he stayed until 2007 when he then joined Pixar Animation Studios at his current role.
- Toy Story 3 (2010) (Color and Lighting Art Director)
- Horton Hears a Who (film) (2008) (Lead Color Design)
- Robots (film) (2005) (Lead Color Key Artist/Additional Design)
- Ice Age (film) (2002) (Matte Painting/Color Stylist Art)
In 2008, Dice (along with Ronnie del Carmen. Enrico Casarosa and Yukino Pang) initiated the Totoro Forest Project, a fundraising exhibition/auction to support the non-profit Totoro Forest Foundation. This initiative also produced a corresponding art book reprinting the various pieces contributed and included the likes of James Jean, Charles Vess, Iain McCaig and William Joyce among others.
He is also currently overseeing Sketchtravel (with Gerald Guerlais) which purpose is "Sharing a reel sketchbook between 60 international artists in order to do a unique book" and the end result auctioned off to benefit the various chosen charities that the participating artists choose.
Notes and references
- Dice Tsutsumi homepage
- Dice Tsutsumi entry on www.imdb.com
- Dice Tsutsumi entry on www.tor.com
- Totoro Forest Project
- Daisuke “Dice” Tsutsumi at www.linesandcolors.com
- interview: Totoro Forest Project Charity Auction at www.animationblogspot.com
- interview: Daisuke “Dice” Tsutsumi at www.litpark.com